50 Awesome Ideas on How to Market Your Business Online
How do you market your business online you ask? Well just let me roll up my sleeves because there are literally TONS of ways to market your business online – and I’m going to dive into 50 of those bad boys. You can get my 101 Marketing Strategies Checklist if you opt into my e-Newsletter (plus a few other goodies 😉 ).
But I’m going to do more than just offer a checklist, I’m going to delve deeper into what’s involved. Hopefully you’ll learn a few new things that you didn’t expect. Happy Easter!
How to Market Your Business Online:
- Submit an eBook to eBook directories such as Free-eBooks.net. This is going to allow you to leverage your content. As an added tip, turn some of your blog posts in to an eBook.
- Host teleseminars and webinars. I have a confession to make. Prior to hosting teleseminars and webinars my list was growing, but it didn’t start growing exponentially until I started doing this. Tip: be sure to pick a hot topic!
- Speak on other peoples stages. YES! This is a technique to marketing your business online. When you speak on someone else page, they naturally want to learn more about you. Often they go online to do so.
- Creating an audio for people to listen to when they opt into your newsletter is great, but why not take it a step further and offer them a physical CD as well. Sure it’ll cost you a bit more, but at the end of the day you’ll get their mailing address. Now that is priceless!
- Video marketing is FAN-freakin-TASTIC! But it’s even better when they are optimized for search engines. 😉
- On that note, you know how you can add a comment to YouTube videos? How about you add your “comment” as a video comment? Great way to stand out from the crowd don’t you think?
- Answer peoples questions. You can do this in forums, message boards, Yahoo Answers, you name it.
- Create podcasts! Some of my favorite people like Michael Hyatt who speaks on Intentional Leadership have their own iTunes podcast shows and I don’t miss one (of course since I discovered his show). Get a following on your show and you’d be good to go!
- Be sure to add links in your tweets my tweetie. Adding value is great – directing them to a relevant page on your site? Even better.
- I’m on my knees praying that you have a Facebook Business Page. You do RIGHT?
- Participate in groups. Facebook and LinkedIn have some of the best and most interactive groups and many of them are bound to have your target audience. Engage, socialize, be helpful, but most of all show your face consistently. I personally have a spreadsheet listing all my groups and I visit them all regularly. Some more than others of course. P.S. Feel free to request to be a part of my Online Marketing Masterclass & Mastermind group on LinkedIn.
- Create a great list post such as this! OK, hoping this turns out to be great (cross fingers).
- Pay for advertising. I’m all about inexpensive (and even FREE) marketing, but sometimes if you want to give your business a boost, advertising is the way to go for sure. Check out Facebook Ads. They are easy to set up and much less expensive than traditional advertising or using Google Adwords.
- Since we’re on the topic of Facebook, be sure to set up events every time you are hosting a new event, training, or workshop you’d like people to sign up for. The invites go straight into your friends inbox. Sweet!
- Create an open-source software. I haven’t done this myself (yet), but have a few business associates who have; and has had a very positive impact on their business and website traffic. Just check out sites such as Elance.com for some IT genius who can create it for you without having to break the bank.
- Do you recently host presentations? Don’t let that content collect virtual dust. Leverage it by sharing it on a site such as SlideShare.
- OK this is nothing new, but guest posting is a great way for you to market your business online. I guest posted for YoungEntrepreneur.com for over a year and it brought me tons of leads. Give it a shot.
- How can I forget my buddy Dino Dogan and owner of Triberr.com. Want to grow your blog traffic quickly AND be part of a tribe? Check this site out.
- Participate in a contest. I’ve been in several contests, including those run by BlogEngage.com and FamousBloggers.net, and they have been a great source of recognition and traffic for my website and business. P.S. great sites to guest post on as well. 😉
- Host a radio show on sites such as Blog Talk Radio. It’s not for everyone but I know a few people who were able to get a huge following in a very short period of time. Something to think about.
- Add social share buttons on your site – PLEASE! There are still website owners that don’t do this. Talk about wasted opportunities.
- And on that note, give people a way to connect with you. Showcase the social networks your active on everywhere. Why not? The more people can see the opportunity to connect with you, the more they will.
- And one more thing, PLEASE add your twitter handler on your post so when people share it your Twitter ID shows up … another thing that often gets missed. For those of you who don’t have a clue what I’m talking about your Twitter ID is the username you use on Twitter, such as mine –> @Michele_Welch <– feel free to connect with me!
- Add your website to directories such as Yelp.com and Local.com (especially if you market locally). These sites drawn in insane amounts of visitors.
- Add the link to your free gift on your business card. I saw this once and I LOVED the idea. And yes, my next set will include this cool tip.
- Create a cool mug, water bottle, or hat with your website name and URL and give them out to friends, family, and clients.
- I spoke about guest blogging right? But how about switching the tables? Have a well-known industry leader write an article for your blog. They will be sure to promote it which means more traffic for you! Plus by association will establish you as an industry leader.
- Headlines! Headlines! Headlines! Writing great headlines is a skill you can learn (I’m still working on it myself). Check out the book Advertising Headlines That Make You Rich by David Garfinkel. It’s going to put you back $30-$40 bucks, but it’s worth the investment!
- Create How-To videos. I do this quite often. You can check out my YouTube Channel for all my trainings up-to-date. The key here is to find your topic sweet spot and do more of those. These are usually the videos that get the most views.
- Create press releases every time your roll out a new product, program or event. Alan Weiss shares a great list on his blog.
- Create challenges for others to join. I did this with a series called Tweet it Forward back when I was writing on NewBizBlogger.com. They were short, fun, and I established so many great contacts from it.
- Do free livestreams on sites such as LiveStream.com, Spreecast.com (my fav), and Zipcast.com. This a great way to connect with others and quickly establish yourself as an industry expert.
- Share some link love! Sharing other peoples posts on your blog is a great way to market your business online. When you share some link love others are more likely to support you and share your articles. It’s a win-win for all involved. 😉
- Do a weekly (or monthly) Google+ hangout session or Tweet Chat. It’s a great way to get people gathered together talking about a focused topic. Great brand builder too!
- Make social media marketing a daily habit. If you think posting 2-3 times a week is going to cut it, you’re going to be disappointed. Daily postings of relevant, interesting, and engaging content is the way to go.
- Make your blog available on Kindle. I admit I have not done this yet, but I have associates who have and they have had really great results with it. Plus they were getting income from it. Woo-hoo!
- Share a sample of your product/program online for free. This gives people a taste of what you do and adds value. Just be sure to share your best stuff.
- Add your website/blog/free gift offer in your email signature. I have all three, plus my social networks.
- Use Facebook custom apps to promote and share other information about your business. I have apps that are always the same and custom apps that are added as I do new trainings.
- Submit your website to such sites a Alltop.com. Not the easiest thing to do but is possible. Get a regular following going and share some great content and you’d be surprise how quickly you can be included.
- Host a Giveaway or Telesummit. I’m not going to sugar-coat it. It takes a LOT of work to do this, but it can bring you hundreds of leads and build your email list at the same time.
- You’re blogging right? Yeah, you’re blogging. Okay, moving on.
- I guess I should mention SEO … since I do teach it … and it IS important. OK then. Optimize your website for search engines! So easy if you’re running your site on WordPress. Just add the All-in-One SEO Pack plugin and it does all the heavy lifting. One top key tip though: make sure to include your primary keyword in your Home Title.
- We are so close … Set up your business voicemail with business information including your website and new products and programs you’re promoting. If they can’t reach you, maybe they can at the very least visit your website.
- Create a small business ad on Craigslist. Craigslist pages show up in the search results. Create a keyword-friendly ad that leads people to your website and Viola!
- Five more to go, yay! … Market BENEFITS not features. So this is more of a concept than a to-do but it’s SO important.
- Set up special offers through the ‘Offers’ function in Facebook. I recommend sending people to a free offer that requires them to opt into your email list. But you decide.
- Add a testimonials page on your website. I kid you not. I have had people inquire about services based on testimonials they’ve read. And hey, keep it real. Don’t create fake ones. Bad energy you know?
- Hone in on what’s different about you and market the hell out of it! What is your U-S-P (unique selling proposition)? Having a hard time? Think of your compelling story.
- Woo-hoo! We’re on the last one! I need a drink. 😉 Last but definitely not least, engage, engage, engage! And oh yeah. Be real.
There you have it. Fifty awesome ideas on how to market your business online. Is it going to take work? Absolutely! Is it worth it? Without a doubt.
Please feel free to list below one of your awesome tips on how you market your business online!
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmpznz/